Flamengo training ground fire leaves ten dead and three injured in ‘biggest tragedy’ in club’s history

Flamengo training ground fire leaves ten dead and three injured in ‘biggest tragedy’ in club’s history
A fire at the training centre of Brazilian football club Flamengo has left ten people dead and a further three injured.The blaze broke out in an accommodation block at Ninho de Urubu, which houses a number of the club’s academy players, at around5.10am local time on Friday.The fire broke out in the youth team headquarters2
The fire broke out in the youth team headquarters
Players aged between 14-17 were sleeping in the dorm at the time of the fire, which was finally extinguished by 7.23am.Ten people have died, with a further three injured and taken to hospital, one of whom is reportedly in a serious condition.Local media claim all 10 of the victims are young athletes, with one later identified as Christian Esmerio, a 15-year-old goalkeeper.Pictures posted on social media showed the extent of the damage caused by the fire.Lieutentant Colonel Douglas Henaut of the fire service said: “We managed to rescue the victims that were outside.“The place was completely overtaken by fire. As much as we tried to get inside and find people still alive that wasnt [possible] … We only found bodies inside.“We cant tell you the cause of the fire, that needs to be investigated.”The cause of the fire remains undetermined, though Brazil newspaper O Globo report the building did not have the correct permits.Felipe Cardoso, an Under-17 midfielder, claimed the fire started in his room.“The air conditioner caught fire, and I ran out,” he said. “Thank God I managed to run and Im still alive.”The Ninho de Urubu centre was expanded as part of a 4.8million development last year, with the club putting work in on their training complex. Ninho de Urubu translates to ‘Vulture’s Nest’ and is so named as the club’s symbol is a vulture.Ninho do Urubu was opened in 2012 with further additions added during 2015 and 20162
Ninho do Urubu was opened in 2012 with further additions added during 2015 and 2016
There are pitches, an aquatic park, a medial centre, a mini stadium and accommodation areas on the site.Flamengo are one of Brazil’s biggest clubs with their home ground, theMaracan Stadium, one of the most iconic in world football.The club shared the following social media post to confirm they are in mourning, before Rodolfo Landim, the president, called the incident ‘the biggest tragedy the club has ever experienced in the 123 years of its existence.’Landim said: “I was so far involved in emergency actions and the distribution of some important tasks, but now I’ve been able to get out of these tasks and come to you and we’re all dismayed.“This is certainly the biggest tragedy the club has ever experienced in its 123 years of existence with the loss of these people.“We want to try to minimise the suffering of these families. Be sure that Flamengo will spare no effort to minimise this pain.“The club is collaborating with the authorities so that the causes of the fire can be cleared.“No one but us has full interest for this to happen. Everyone in the club is in mourning.”Gilberto Silva, the former Arsenal and Brazil midfielder, joined talkSPORT to discuss the heartbreaking incident.“It is very, very sad,” he said. “It’s quite normal for clubs in Brazil to have these hotel homes for their youth players, and this tragedy is something very unexpected.“My condolences to all of them and their families, and everyone help Flamengo in this very sad moment.”Some of the countrys most famous footballers have played for Flamengo, including Zico, Leonardo,Romario and Ronaldinho.

Hudson-Odoi enjoyed a solid first Premier League start against Brighton
Valencia 2-1 Real Madrid: LaLiga's most underrated player and

Martial struggled against Barcelona

Wilfried Zaha tells Crystal Palace he wants summer transfer with club valuing him at £80million Tottenham and Chelsea have previously tried to sign the forward, who wants to join a club playing
Wilfried Zaha has told Crystal Palace he wants to leave the

Fabregas during his early career sported a fantastic mullet

Women's World Cup 2019 opening ceremony: The best pictures from the party in Paris The eighth Women's World Cup has officially begun as 24 teams battle it out for the right to call themselves world champions. And you can listen to every talkSPORT 3 days ago Also reported by •BBC News •BBC Sport •BBC Local News
FIFA Women's World Cup 2019: Start date, watch online stream

Police clashed with visiting fans at the Athens Olympic Stadium

GETTY. Real Madrid consider £120m bid for Chelsea star Eden Hazard. Transfer News LIVE updates: All the latest on Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, the Premier League, La Liga and more.
Transfer news LIVE: Coutinho to Liverpool, Man Utd eye Pogba

Former Rangers striker Boyd was struck by a coin thrown from the stands

Liverpool Echo, the very latest Liverpool and Merseyside news, sport, what's on, weather and travel. Plus the latest Liverpool FC and Everton FC news.

Leistner should’ve scored

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino jokingly said last night that even the Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is now 'worried' that he will leave the Premier League club. Football pundits heavily praised Pochettino after he led his team with a 1-1 draw against Barcelona this Wednesday at the UEFA Champions League.
Levy is 'worried' about speculation over my future, jokes

Lionel Messi made his return from injury but was left stunned as Barca suffered a rare home defeat

Rowett was appointed by the bet365 Stadium club last May and leaves after just eight months in charge with Stoke in the bottom half of the second tier table. A club statement read: "Stoke City
Gary Rowett sacked: Stoke City axe manager after just eight
sportsloveme.com/soccer/gary-rowett-sacked-stoke-city-axe-manager-after-just-eight-months-in-charge/
Gary Rowett sacked: Stoke City axe manager after just eight months in charge 01/08/2019 Championship , Gary , Stoke City Stoke have sacked manager Gary Rowett with immediate effect following their run of one win in their last six games.
Stoke sack manager Gary Rowett after just eight months

Keita has struggled to live up to his 48million price tag

Tottenham Hotspur have delivered an update on the progress at their new stadium, including the news that the north London derby against Arsenal will be played at Wembley. There has been progress made on fixing the widespread issues with the critical fire safety systems in recent weeks, with a further smoke test taking place at the new 62,062
Tottenham Hotspur new stadium update: Ground 'will NOT be

Skriniar and Koulibaly could be partners at Old Trafford next season

Tottenham vs Liverpool: Georginio Wijnaldum reveals lasting friendship with Champions League final opponent If you said Georginio Wijnaldum and Moussa Sissoko would meet in a Champion 2 hours ago
Tottenham vs Liverpool: talkSPORT writers predict who will

Mohamed Salah became the quickest Liverpool player in history to reach 40 Premier League goals

Man City vs Burton compared: The incredible differences between cup rivals including squad value, wages and more The two sides are poles apart from each other but go head-to-head in the Carabao
Bleacher Report | Sports. Highlights. News. Now.

Everton conceded their 19th goal from a set-piece this season against Manchester City on Wednesday

"I'm in the best job in the world," Brendan Rodgers told Alan Brazil on a TalkSPORT interview last April. The Irishman was at that time linked with the job at Arsenal and went out of his way to say that while the Gunners were a great club he was the manager of Celtic, "I'm in the best job in the world."
Brendan Rodgers: I have the best job in the world at Celtic

Stoke fans turned on the former Burton Albion boss

Fulham owner Shahid Khan has apologised to the club's supporters after their relegation from the Premier League was confirmed on Tuesday night with a 4-1 thumping at Watford. Former player Scott Parker who took over as caretaker manager after Claudio Ranieri's departure in February, was unable to keep the Cottagers up, as they became the second
Fulham owner Shahid Khan apologises to fans after relegation

Saiss featured at the World Cup for Morocco

Wolves host Leicester City in Saturday's early kick-off knowing a win can see them leapfrog the Foxes in the Premier League table. Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo sent off! Liverpool fans
Wolves boss Nuno charged with misconduct by FA for

Cristiano Ronaldo mimicking Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeones cojones celebration

Ghanaian born Italian Mario Balotelli took to social media to troll Manchester following their 2-0 defeat against Paris Saint Germain on Tuesday in the UEFA Champions League.
'Ole?' - Mario Balotelli trolls Manchester United then

Posting Komentar

0 Komentar